Steve part 2

Posted by Beamer at 4:48 AM

One thing I noticed is that Steve's name is very similar to Steve's name from the previous post. Two totally different Steves, just to clear that up.

Steve finally Got an amp of his own. it was a huge cabinet with four massive speakers below the amp itself and heavy as all get out. It was also some off brand that worked about 3/4 of the time. This was probably a year or do after we first met up. Steve's lead work was coming along fine and it got much easier for us to get into tune with each other.

I don't tune in the normal way. I tune apparently in an open G. It is a what is called a power chord and works just fine for me. It drove some guitarists that I jammed with crazy. I wasn't playing guitar buy just being able to lay my finger across the neck of the guitar and produce a chord. I was supposed to manipulate the strings in such a manner as every other guitarist. I tried that many times. Couldn't get it to work. Then I saw Footage of Woodstock. There was a Black guy playing at wood stock that used his thumb to lay across the neck. I can't remember his name right now, but I think the song he played was Here's come the sun. Once I saw that, I started detuning strings till I got the right mixture to produce an open chord. I actually only have 4 notes different going across the neck, with six strings. But It has worked for me. Still, it drove some folks crazy.

Personally, I think it was due a lot more to Ego than what or how I was playing. Usually the one's that complained the loudest, I could out play them and they didn't like it. My lead work was coming around, as was my technique with the pick. There was also something else that I developed that I absolutely Loved.

I heard a song in my head, and then I was able to reproduce the sound of the song through my Amp. I will never forget when that happened. I was at my Mom's house. T had my amp set up in the living room, with the parents gone for the weekend. I had a very long patch cord. I was getting a drink of water in the kitchen. I took a long drink, while I came up with this tune for some reason. I set the glass down, grabbed the guitar and played it on the guitar. I heard it coming out of the amp in the Living room. I was amazed at being able to do that.

I hadn't ever tried before, playing a song IO created, But that opened a flood gate. I started creating more and more songs in my head and would work on recreating them with th4e guitar. It worked many times, and many times it took quite a bit of work to get the song recreated, but I would usually get eventually. I especially liked it when I started playing songs that I didn't have to create in my head. It became like my fingers were doing the creative work on their own. (Continued)

1 comments:

Mike Golch said...

good posting,thanks for sharing it.