Can I have a smoke Break?

Posted by Beamer at 11:42 PM

September 3rd, 2008

I talked once before about being an assistant Manager at this lovely Department store. Let me explain, I don't smoke cigarettes.

One year, I got to help setup a brand new store and to help train the new crew coming in to work at the store. It was at times a 24 hour period that we would be working on setting up the store, not that I would work 24 hours straight. I would just work 14 or 16 hours straight. Loads of fun.

So, I'm working one grave yard shift with this lovely crew and I'm the only one with the key to the front door or any other door, with orders to only let the crew out during lunch. We got an hour break for lunch. Lunch only - strict orders.

So 1 1/2 hours into our 9 hour shift and me on about hour 9 or something, (It was a big blur a lot of this time) One of the crew members decides that he is wanting a cigarette break. I told him in 2 1/2 hours he would have an hour break. Get back to work, here, put all these packages of toilet paper in this row and these shelves. Great.

15 minutes later, with me all the way across the store from where this guy is supposed to be, he appears with 3 other people. They are all wanting a cigarette break. I tell them no, I have strict orders, you'll get let out at lunch. A few minutes later, I now have traveled to the front of the store. I couldn't believe what I saw.

The whole crew is standing by the front door and the kid that first hit me up for a cig is about to get on the PA system to call me to the front of the store.

Me: Why aren't you stocking Toilet paper?






Him: I need a smoke.

Crew: Yeah we need a smoke.

I look around and I am now surrounded by about 15 people, all with Nicotine fits, with the Kid looking the worst. I told them again, at lunch I'll open, uhm, strict orders ...

Him: I'm in a bad way.

He holds out his hand and it is shaking. Great. He's looking pale. Fantastic.

Crew: Let us out! Now!

Me: Fine.

Crew : Yaaayy!

Half of these people had their cigarettes lit before they even got out of the store. I am imagining the sprinklers going off in the store and the fire department showing up directly. I get that way after a damn near 11 hour day with no lunch and about 5 hours sleep. I try to get out of the way as they rush the door.






They were Ok with their cigarettes till they had their lunch, but then about 2 hours after their lunch, cig break time was demanded by the crew again. This time was even more demanding than last time, with the kid leading the charge again. I reminded them after they were inhaling deeply that I was the acting manager and this wasn't good that they were giving me orders. See the place I worked for didn't have a great sense of humor when it came to mutiny by the crew.

The next shift, there was a whole new crew in there, with training starting all over from scratch. Each of the other crew had been given their walking papers. See, all of the behavior of the crew and myself was recorded, sound and all, then reviewed by the upper management of the Company when they showed up to see the progress of the store and how it was going.

I tried to tell them.

PS: Thanks Monkey man.

4 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Too bad the Sheriffs dept did not have a policy like this one,once the no smoking ban was put in force in all county buildings. the bathroom stunk of cig smoke. wich did me no good since it agrevated my asthma.

Beamer said...

Yikes. Yeah, that's no good. It's amazing what 15 or 16 folks all needing to get their nicotine fix on is like when faced with out their nicotine. It was a tad bit scary. Sure did wake me up.

Beamer

Mike Golch said...

Beamer, I have an award for you on my site,so come and get it.

Beamer said...

Thanks Mike. Just got it.


Have a great weekend.

Beamer