A quiet dinner Part 2 of 2

Posted by Beamer at 1:38 AM

September 1st, 2008

So there I was, actually getting a smile from my wife. Not that she doesn't smile. She smiles plenty, a great smile, but not so much when referencing another woman's Breasts as Bakery goods and laughing about it. But I was approaching it on how foolish I felt laughing out loud in front of a piece of light emitting technology that displays words and images. She appreciates my self depreciating humor, and I don't mind doing it, especially when discussing Ta Tas.

So, in mid sentence I am cut off, quite rudely I might add. Here walks in a large overweight Mexican Lady (I use the term lightly here), in her early 20's, yelling back over her shoulder, I mean YELLING:

"WE have pizza on order, so we aren't getting any food in here."

There is a take out pizza place right next door. Also, that is just what a owner of a Mexican eatery wants to hear as a customer walks in the door.

Again she bellows:

"Leave that alone, Put it back, Don't be grabbing."

This again is over her shoulder at her brood, I guess, or at least the 4 kids following her that are grabbing the waitresses supply of very nicely padded menus and opening them up and taking them with them. There was also a stack of printed paper ad magazines that were just the right height to grab handfuls of.

"Put That Back, NOW!!!" this she yelled just about right into my ear. I heard her voice echo off the opposite wall, reverberating from the ceiling and in my eardrums. This was just as I was about to try and continue my Breast Monologue. I managed to get my mouth open, but there was no way I was going to try and compete with that voice.

It's gotten to where I don't even like competing with the TV at home any more. I forever mute the volume as I pass along to her my fabled wisdom and brilliant enlightenment.

So they pass, this small herd. The 4 children, the loud mouth adult (again, using the term very lightly here) and another young, heavy set, Mexican lady. They make their way into the deeper part of the Eatery, apparently to sit down, but not to order Pizza. Now the fun really starts.

I managed to get a few words out before the children start in. Screaming and yelling about what? I have no idea. For it sounds like all 4 kids are yelling at once. Again voices literally reverberate off the walls. Then the Adults join back in unsion:
"Sit Down. Don't. Shut Up, sit down, SHUT UP!!!" this last one reaches new incredible levels of volume.

Then the children again. Voices blending and rising and making no sense at all. I literally yelled at my wife:

"Can you imagine living next door to that?"

Then it's about the bathroom. Louder yet, who's going first, and why they aren't and yes I am and the no you aren't. It's been probably 5 minutes since they walked in the door and I haven't been able to utter a word short of the question I yelled at my wife, which had nothing to do with bakery goods. Now a whole 'nother realm is approached.

A very painful wail is let out, followed by another and another. I imagine the kids beating each other over the heads with chairs or something. Huge sobbing and I can imagine the large tears and the running nose. Then another loud piercing, yelling wail mixed in with the raucous over the bathrooms. I look at my wife with a quizzical face.

She tries to explain to me that the child that was brought in on her father's shoulder apparently has some mental problems and all the kids and the adults yelling is scaring her and she is responding the only way she knows how.

Finally, the herd leaves as does the other family. Peace resumed. I finished the sorted tale and all is well. I wondered, as the herd left the building, why I felt like applauding.

6 comments:

Carol said...

Sorry your dinner was ruined. I think some folks forget that they're not at home when they walk into a restaurant. Their level of behavioral expectations are low to begin with and do not rise at all to match their social situation.

It happens.

Beamer said...

All in all, it wasn't that bad. We had a great time before they showed up and a great time after. All I could think of was their poor neighbors where they live.

Thanks for the comment.

Beamer

Mike Golch said...

this reminds me of something I uses at the Sheriff dept. "every one brings happiness,some by comming in and some by leaving!" I hope that you and the family had a great weekend!

Beamer said...

Yeah buddy. I like that saying as well.

The weekend was awesome Mike, thanks.

Hoping the same for you.

Beamer

Anonymous said...

Incredible.. Its like they are inside their own bubble not thinking about people around them. What a life..

I've seen a few families like that on a tv-show where some baby-sitters came to rescue families. Don't remember the name.

Its like.. what is worse ; smoking inside a restaurant or a family performance like that? :)

Ok... smoking kills but I think that family could kill as well.

Beamer said...

Thanks for the comment.

It was incredible.

I was so thankful they were going to be leaving shortly to get their stupid pizza. Funny thing is, I don't think it would have mattered at all if the place would have been packed. They were in their own little bubble.

Beamer