What the Hell ?

Posted by Beamer at 12:02 AM

August 24th, 2008

I don't know why it lately, but the topics of Boobs has been seen by me lately, at least the 3 days. So following in that trend, I'll give it a go.

I worked at a small Hospital in the linen room many years ago (yes, a different career) and with that Job, I got to go into every department of that hospital at least once a day and some departments got a visit by me 3 or more times a day.

One of the departments I visited 3 times a day, every day, was the ICU department. This was the Intensive care, where you really were supposed to be very sick and in dire need to get in there. They, the nurses, really didn't have much of a sense of humor there with difficult patients.

So I was in one of the departments (they had 2 sides) and was trying to figure out what was going on in a bed just opposite from the linen cart. There apparently was a young black man in cardiac arrest and he was being rushed by any number of nurses to try and save his life. They had already placed a hard stiff back board behind him and one of the younger nurses was climbing up on the bed to give him cardiac compression.

Now, if this is done correctly, it is nothing like what you see in movies, for you can get broken ribs from this procedure. That is how hard these pros are pressing on your chest. They are trying to squeeze your heart through your chest cavity and trying to compress your heart on your spine.

It is serious folks. Life or death for sure.

So this young nurse is now straddling this guy and proceeds to press in on his chest. Right then, he reaches up and grabs a hand full with each hand. The guy is now laughing, but not for long.

The nurse reared back and slapped the guy right across the face. I heard the slap all the way across the room. I'm guessing the guy was in his early 20's.

She jumped down off this fool and was cussing him out the whole way. Apparently, he disconnected the wiring to his monitor I guess, he faked a straight line somehow, and here were 5 or 6 nurses staring daggers at this guy. He's asking why they didn't think that was funny. 3 of the nurses wheeled around and let him know in no uncertain terms.

It was an amazing site.

4 comments:

Mike Golch said...

what some jack a&& will do. I use to work hospital security and had to deal with all types of knuckleheads. this one takes the cake.

Beamer said...

Oh, and he seemed so surprised that he got slapped. I think he was about to say you can't do that and thought better of it.

I have no idea why he was in there to begin with, but I don't think he in ICU much longer after that.

Beamer

Carol said...

Great story. Dumb nurses. You should always check for a pulse before beginning compressions no matter what the monitors say.

(Spoken like a true R.N.)

Beamer said...

Ah, good point. I don't really know what led up to them deciding that he was in that serious of trouble, so maybe he faked his heart stopping another way.

Beamer