My how time flies

Posted by Beamer at 9:51 AM

August 14th, 2008

Let's see, going back to that Chicken Delight place where I delivered pizzas, one of the jobs I had was answering the phones. So it was a late summer afternoon and I answered the phone.

Me: "Hello. Chicken delight. We Deliver." (Funny how stuff like that gets etched into your brain).

Customer: (Something along these lines) "I'd like a large pepperoni pizza delivered to blah blah blah H street."

Me: "Ok. That will be so and so dollars and 25 cents"

Now back then we took them at their word and didn't call them back or anything. The pizza got made and as it was I was to deliver it. So I jumped into my 1966 Mustang and headed south. I finally found the address way south of town with a large dirt driveway leading off the road. I pulled into the driveway.

As I came closer tot he house. I noticed a figure sitting on the stairs leading to the front porch. These stairs must have been 20 feet wide and the front porch which was covered in screen had to be twice as big. This house had two huge trees in front that covered the rest of the front of the house. There was probably 40 or fifty feet of shadow from the trees in front of the stairs. It was quite an expansive setup. Then this tall, willowy figure stood up, dressed in a long white cotton dress, with a large brimmed white hat that covered most of her face. She had long blonde hair curled in big, lazy curls that came down the front of her dress just past her bare shoulders and framed her face very nicely. Looked like something from Gone in the wind, a image from the yesteryear of the deep south. I was trying to take all this in, the huge trees, the giant stairs and the tall lady. So I climbed out of the car, bent back in and got the pizza from the warmer, and turned around to walk towards this lady.

As I got closer, I asked her if she ordered the Pizza. She nodded yes. So as I walked towards the stair, she gracefully glided down the stars and greeted me at the bottom of the stairs. First thing I noticed was that she towered over me by about 5 inches and I was probably 6 feet tall then. Then she spoke.

"Glad you made it out here so quickly." I glanced up, responding to the deep male voice that I heard. She / he handed me my money from white, lace and cotton gloved hands and said "Keep the change." which I swear was even deeper. I some how managed to say thank you and got back in my car.

Strange times, those '70's.


1 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Life Gotta love it. Hugs and God's Blessing. Mike G. said that!(It's an A.A. thing of mine)