This would be a first ...

Posted by Beamer at 7:58 AM

And probably won't be the last time either: I shall post a recipe.

For you see I was a dinner cook. I actually worked on the line (in a kitchen) for some of the better restaurants in Bakersfield, CA. many years ago for many years (8 and 1/2 to be exact)(and if luck has anything to do with it I shall get back into cooking for the County)

I shall call my creation Chickan and rice deliciouso.

Ok the ingredients:

1 can (12 oz or so) of diced Tomatoes - I used a Hunts brand with diced peppers, garlic and other goodies enclosed.
1 chicken wing, 2 legs and 1 thigh.
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp dried crushed chilis
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Black pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 tsp thyme
3 Tbsp dried Parsley Flakes
1/2 Tbsp Cajun spice
1/3 cup white rice
1/2 cup water

Ok, a lot of cooking in my eyes has to do with technique. The way you do things while you are cooking matters, especially if you want a quality product. With this dish, you must be patient, number one, and attentive, number 2. It is a bit of a pain, I realize, for the time to fix this dish is about an hour to an hour and a half, altogether.
Procedure:
You take the rice and wash it in clear water a total of five times, draining the water each time. Then in a pot, you place the rice and add enough water to bring it up to the middle of your first knuckle. I use my first finger. No it isn't exact, but it works. You boil the water with the rice till the water is pretty much boiled away. I stir the pan enough times to keep it from sticking. During this time cooking the rice, I start the chicken cooking. I use a iron skillet, a rather good size and a lid to fit the skillet.

Take the 1/4 cup canola oil (or vegetable Oil) and place it in the skillet. Place the chicken pieces and under medium high heat, sear the chicken gently adding the Cajun spice and black pepper. Keeping an eye on the rice, once the rice is still soggy, but most of the water has gone away, add the can of tomatoes, undrained, to the skillet, then mix in the rice to the skillet.

You need to turn the heat way down. just a little below medium heat. You don't want the rice to stick to the bottom of the skillet. I use a pancake turner to stir the pan many times during the cooking process. Gently lifting the rice from the bottom of the pan and turning the chicken. You add the rest of the spices, the water, and the olive oil. It may take a little more water to keep the rice moist. Keep the pan covered unless you are gently stirring the mix.

The trick now is to know when the chicken is done. I wait until the meat just starts to pull away from the bone. You want the chicken cooked thoroughly, no red juices at all. The internal minimum temperature of the chicken needs to be 165 degrees to be safe. Once the chicken is done, serve up a couple of the chicken pieces and serve up the rice.

I'd say it makes two healthy portions. Bon appetite.

I have made this dish twice. I don't add any salt. You may if you want and perhaps add white wine instead of the 1/2 cup water. I save half of the dish to have for lunch the next day. I think the end result is well worth the work in cooking and prepping.

Update: As Of 6 / 18 / 2008 I have made this dish 4 times. I love it.

0 comments: