Reentering the realm of Pizza delivery ...

Posted by Beamer at 12:11 AM

After a very long hiatus from the delivery of Pizzas, I have officially returned. This company is totally different than the last one I worked for and the times are certainly different.

One big difference is the fact that now there is a Hot Bag that the Pizzas stay in as I walk up to the door. It's a very good idea and keeps the temp pretty constant for the time The Pizza leaves the Kitchen to the time it arrives at the Customers waiting hands.

It also led to a problem at the first customer I had on my first day back at the delivery Job. Part of the problem I had was about 3 fold.

Number 1.) The customer is at the open front door waiting for me and I am only halfway to the door. Normally no problem. This time though, I still had to get answers to questions in my head from the guy riding with me to show me how to deliver pizzas.

Number 2.) The guy that is supposed to be walking up to the door with me to show me how to deliver the pizzas is still down on the street waiting by my car. Normally no problem, but he can't hear the questions I am firing at him as I am walking towards the customers door.

Number 3.) Force of Habit I guess - I hand the waiting customer what I had in my hands, which years ago would have been his food, ready for the eating. Now what I had handed him was a black somewhat flexible cloth bag that resembled nothing of a pizza or the box it was retained in.

The customer says to me as I blindly handed off the Package to Him "I don't want this."

I am looking behind me wondering where my answer man is. He is quickly making his way up the sidewalk, trying to answer me. I turned around to see what the Customer was talking about. I turned to face him, and he hands me back the "package". I am thinking why doesn't he want his pizza, then look down to see the black bag.

"Oh shit." I said to myself, hopefully not out loud.

I found the opening to the Hot bag and opened it up to get his pizza out.

By now, my questions were pretty much mute, since the delivery was pretty much done. The guy hands me a wad of money and says he wants 10 bucks back. No problem normally.

Anyway, you get the picture. Luckily the rest of my night went some what smoother.

But then there was day 2.

(Cont.)

0 comments: