Onions

Posted by Beamer at 7:43 PM

December 14th, 2008

Yep Onions.

You won't find many bloggeries about onions, buy yet you have found one. My wife fixed a lovely dinner that consisted of a product made by Old El Paso called Gordita Dinner Kit. It's great, I love it and we have this probably 2 times a month. You supply the lettuce, onion, cheese, meat and other goodies and they provide the spices and some other goodies as well.

You may have noticed the word Onion, small diced up chunks of a usually semi tame vegetable that can bite you severely if you pick the right one. This one onion, bit back strongly, yes indeed. Bit back, made my eyes water, made my nose run. Was one strong Mother.

My wife on the other hand sat there wandering what My problem was. She and I have a great difference in such matters. She can handle high intense heat from Chili's and such where I am totally unable to be anywhere near such matters.

I'll never for get this night when we went out for Mexican food. I had a great mild fish dinner and she had some burrito looking thing with sauce and meat and cheese. I had finished my dinner and watched as she stopped eating, with a nice chunk of her Burrito looking thing left on her plate. She wanted to know if I wanted a bite.

Now, all during the Dinner there was no clue as to how hot (Chili heat) her meal was. It should have melted the burrito, the plate, Most of my wife and half of the table should have been dissolved.

I took a small, tiny minute piece of meat and started chewing. Instantly, bells, whistles, and all other manner of alarms went off in my poor mouth. My eyes bugged out, followed shortly by a great flood of tears. My nose started running like a faucet. I started using my napkin like crazy, dabbing at different orifices in my face, wiping tears and other fluids.

My wife laughed.

"What's the matter, dear?"

Now came the drinking of what ever liquid was on the table. My glass emptied quickly followed by my wife's and I started wondering when the waitress would be back to refill our containers of Fluid. She finally showed up as I desperately ordered more Ice water and a huge Ice tea. 90% of that was downed and I ordered a refill again for both large glasses.

I finally was able to answer my wife.

"What's the Matter? Gee, I don't know." Swallow glug glug swallow glug

She asks ever so lovingly - "Was it Hot?"

"What ever was your first clue, dear?" Glug glug swallow glug

She laughed again and said ever so tenderly "I love you, you know that?"

I was wondering what in Gods name I was in for if she ever started to hate me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's funny... you poor thing! :) My husband can't handle hot, nor mild... nor, well... anything over BLAND. Me and my kids, well... needless to say lava is a wonderful desert. ;)

You poor thing! Good thing she loves ya!

Mon

Mike Golch said...

there used to be a time that i would enjoy biting into som food and have it bite right back. those day are long gone my friend.I feel your pain.

Beamer said...

Thank you guys. I appreciate the comments. I can handle just a little bit of pepper flakes or Red chili powder in cooking if it is one of the first things added and the dish cooks for, say an hour or so. I love Garlic, but that isn't really hot.

Beamer

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Mike is the super spicy guy around here but over the years I've built up a decent tolerance for spicy. The only thing I'm not incredibly fond of is the chili verde made by most restaurants here in town - that stuff is too hot for consumption most of the time!

Beamer said...

I hear you Amy. What Got me at that Mexican Eatery was it was such a little wimpy bite, but I paid for it dearly.

Beamer