Hispanic Fish Dish

Posted by Beamer at 12:01 AM

October 15th, 2008

I am doing something I really really hope I am not successful at - Trying to find an image of the Catfish Dinner I had in a little out of the way Mexican Restaurant in Lindsay or Exeter, California. It was late, about 7 pm, and I was hungry. So I found this little strip mall with about 3 stores and this Restaurant. I walked in the door, and found a table about half way into the eatery. The waitress showed up and I soon discovered we had a major communication problem. She didn't speak English, and I didn't speak nearly enough Spanish.

There were probably 5 or 6 other tables with customers and I was the only single party in there. I was also the only whit person. All the others were Hispanic. So I am thinking it probably has good Spanish food. I looked at the Menu and soon discovered another problem. English wasn't to be found on the Menu either. Now this is in Central California, USA about 6 years ago. Great. The nearest table was about 20 feet away with a fellow patron, so I couldn't very well just lean over and ask for a little help.

Besides, all I was hearing was Spanish being spoke. Suddenly the Twilight Zone Theme was playing through my head. I couldn't make heads or tails out of the Menu. I did mange to get one dish where I recognized Mild. Because Caliente seemed to be used a lot in this place and Me and Caliente (Hot In Spanish) don't really mix well. Then of course there was the Mucho Caliente (Much Heat). I really wanted to avoid that. So I asked if this was any good, pointing at the one of very few listing mild in the description.

Waitress: "Oh, si." (Yes)

Me : "What is it?"

Waitress: "Que?" (What)

So I'm not getting any where and my stomach is growling from all the great smells in the place. Ok, uno, (one) and I ordered an Ice Tea. Or at least I hoped it was an Ice Tea. She very soon brought me a huge cold glass Of Iced Tea. It was great. And then waited for my dinner.

And waited. Pepole came in sat down and were served great looking food.

And I waited. Still, she brought me more Iced tea. Finally shew brought out my food.

Part 1 of 2

0 comments: