Dish du Jour

Posted by Beamer at 1:10 AM

October 16th, 2008

I'm not even sure I could come close to describing what it was she put on my table for me to eat. It was by far the strangest sight I had ever seen for food.



That is a clue.

First off, I was facing the kitchen door. Having little to do but listen to the quiet Mexican Music being played, I was concentrating on the One waitress in the Place. She was a very diligent worker, busy as a bee. They really could have used another 2 or 3 people in there to help her out though. So she walked into the door, and walked out carrying this large almost platter sized plate. Bone white, with something hanging over both ends. I was trying to figure out what it was and who was getting it. She walked right to my table with this dish. It seemed as though all eyes in the place were watching her as she brought this large white dish out. It was easily 1/3 bigger that the other plates and could have been 1/2 again bigger. She had to carry it with two hands, where the other plates she could have carried two at a time, which many she did, easily.

So you see that face in the picture, that is what was hanging off of one end. The other end, that tail was draped on the table. It was sliced repeatedly down the sides and deep fried to a golden brown. Head still attached. There was no rice or beans with it, it was just the fish. I looked around, still with the Twilight zone playing softly in the back of my head.

I took a fork and took a bite. Not bad. I tried not to look at the head end, concentrating more on the end with the tail. I worked on it quite a bit and probably consumed a third of it. I briefly considered a doggy bag, then decided not to. It was a long drive back home and no telling what my car was going to smell like when I got home.

Just be very careful in ordering your mild heat selection in Lindsay or Exeter California. You might get a up close and personal visit from a bottom feeding Fish that is golden Brown.

What is the weirdest dish you ever got going out to eat?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, there is no way on this earth I could eat that. Not with eyes looking back at me.

Beamer said...

Eyes, whiskers, mouth agape. It was so bizzare , but I was so hungry, and it smelled great. I still get a little queasy thinking about it though.

Beamer