Yeah, I must be crazy ...

Posted by Beamer at 1:46 AM

August 5th, 2008

One of my other jobs from years gone by involved working the graveyard shift at an AM-PM Convenience store. This place sold Gasoline, Beer, fast food, and groceries. It also sold Cigarettes.

Now we were supposed to "card" customers we thought weren't old enough to by cigarettes. They were supposed to be 18. Many folks tried to buy them that weren't old enough. It was some times a real hassle, especially when the young "individual" ( I have a few other choice Nouns I'd like to stick in there) thought that they looked old enough and didn't have their ID with them.

One of these occasions was one night or early in the morning. It had to be about 2 or 3 AM. I was busy trying to get ready for the Farm workers rush at about 4 or 4:30 - cooking of lots of food and getting lots of coffee made. I didn't need these two Bozo's to come into my store and give me a hard time.

I didn't even notice these guys come in. I was that busy. I turned and they were all ready at the counter, which I didn't like. I liked to be aware of the people coming in my store, as I was the only one working that shift. The fewer surprises the better. I opened the stupid little door that allowed me to get behind the counter and waited for them to say some thing after greeting them a "Good Morning".

Guy # 1: "Yeah, what ever." In this fake deep voice. "I need some cigarettes."

I looked at him trying to gauge how old he was. See there was a tiny little problem with his appearance:

Bald Guy

Me: "Can I see some ID ?"

Now what this means is that this guy reaches into some pocket or wallet or something and produces something which shows me that he is old enough to buy cigarettes. That's it. It doesn't mean you turn to your buddy behind you an start bad mouthing the big guy standing behind the counter.

Guy # 1 talking to Guy #2: "Is this guy kidding? He must be crazy"

Guy # 1 turning back to me: "Are you crazy? Asking ME for MY ID?"

I looked at this fool and said: "Yep I must be crazy. Here I am working Graveyard shift at some stupid AM-PM store asking some moron with as giant green star painted on his head for ID."

Guy # 1: "So, you going to sell me some cigarettes?"

Guy # 1 didn't get it. Without the ID, he wasn't going out the door with cigarettes. I turned to his buddy and tried to get him to explain it to Star Head. He tapped Guy # 1 on the shoulder, Pointed towards the door and started walking out. Guy # 1 stood there looking at me, shaking his head, and muttered something about how crazy I was again, then followed his buddy out the door.

The Next customer in line was a normal looking 40 year old buying a cup of coffee. He asked me what that was. I couldn't answer him.

4 comments:

Mike Golch said...

you and I have this in common.I worked at Short Stop night shift. I was a mananger in training.which ment I did a lot more stuff that just putting up stock at the store.
I had a horrible experience while working one night,I had a gun stuck in my face. needless to say the guy made off with a grand total of $25 and 2 cases of beer. He did not get far the county deputies say him and a gun battle insued and that was the end of the line for the robber. I refused to work night shift for a week afterwards,than only when sone was working with me. Mike G.said that!

Beamer said...

Damn! That was one thought always in the back of my mind doing that shift.

Glad you made it out ok. I have some other tales I am going to tell here of my time working at that store.

Beamer

Anonymous said...

The most fun thing I did was card a lady that I honestly did not think she looked old enough to by beer.I got a big hug out of that one.
and a phone # I passed on that. I was still legally married but seperated.
Hugs and God's Love and Blessings.Mike G. said that!(It's an A.A.Thing)

Beamer said...

That's cool.

Most of the people I carded for beer ended up PO'ed. Oh well, life's a biotch.

Beamer