First there is a picture ...

Posted by Beamer at 9:56 AM

then there is no picture then there is ...

Yes, that is a refrence to the "old school" song of
Donovan, "There is a mountain". (I'm thinking some one must have been on some very good drugs when they wrote that song to have a mountain disappear then reappear)

Well, mainly due to my love of photography and the
photo blog of mine, I have a huge collection of Photos on the hard drive on this computer. I use Windows XP service pack 2 for the Operating system. I recently decided to take this collection and rearrange it into categories, instead of dates, as the software for the camera tends to upload load it to the computer. So I have a nature category, a Mechanical category, and so on.
I had tried in the past in using control and selecting 5 or 6 photos to move at once and XP software wanted to make copies of the pictures that way, so I was moving them one by one. Granted its a royal pain, but at least I wasn't getting copies that way. Then I went back to the old way, selected about 5 pictures, hit control and highlighted them, then moved the pictures into the new folder.


Poof!


All the rest of the pictures I had in the old folder disappear, maybe a hundred pictures or so. Gone. Luckily I have a backup of them, but those are the raw format, as they come out of the camera, not the processed images I had saved. Needless to say, a lot of work went into these images, and to have them disappear hurt. Granted I should have had backups of these images as well, which I am going to make post haste, for last night, some 3 days later, they all reappeared.


Poof!


Where they went and where they came back from I don't care. I am just so glad they are back. Computers! A double edged sword at best. GRRRRR!

0 comments: