Posted by Beamer at 9:46 PM

September 30th, 2008

Ok, so you have to Imagine this, Me on the Phone answering and talking to an individual on the other end. He is trying to get the Info to me that I am needing to retain so I can meet him for an Interview for a job. He has it easy. Me, not so easy.

I was watching a movie at the time, with the stero supplying the sound through 5 speakers strategically placed to allow for very good speaker coverage through out the room. I'm sitting in my favorite chair, Which is in the middle of the 5 speakers, arraigned just so for excellent coverage, while the Movie is playing.

What I have to do though, is go from excellent speaker coverage with the sound a plenty to be able to understand what this guy is saying on the phone to me and get it writen down so I can remember it later and not show up at trailer 13, but trailer 14, and not at 9:30 am, but at 9:20am, which I am thinking now is an odd time, but it is still crucial that I know what it is, when it is, where it is and with whom it is.

One little problem. Wait, actually about 4 little problems. One, My wife usually handles the remote button pushing job in our family. I am secure enough in my manly hood to allow for the female in our family to have control of the remote. So she does that on a very regular basis and is quite educated in the location of said remote control buttons to where she can actually get the remote controls to do what she wants, when she wants them to do it. Me, not so much..

But She ain't here. So I am relegated to actual ownership of the button pushing on the remote, wait, remotes. For there is the remote that actually controls the DVD Player, and the remote which controls the stero. So, phone in hand, trying to write with the other one, while trying to control 2 remotes with, uhm, my other hand. Actually 2 extra hands would have been really nice. But there is no such thing. (I really wish I would have gotten this on film, for it would have been classic, really.)

So I tell him to wait just a minute, grab the first remote, and push a button, hoping for the pause. Instead the scene playing starts again. He's is tired of waiting, so he is telling me stuff. I put the remote down, grab the pencil and write down what he is saying. Trying not to sound like an utter idiot, I figure saying hang on a minute again probably wouldn't work, So, I lay the pencil down for a second while he is talking, and as I've already seen this part of the movie, I concentrate on what he is saying, and grab the other remote to turn off the sound, except just as I am pushing what I hoped was either mute or power off, I dropped the remote onto the floor. The movie is still blasting and he is still talking.

So one more time, I use the just one minute line and try again for the remote while writing down more info while laying the phone down, except I now have pushed the damn repeat scenes again, and it starts all over again. So I pick up the phone just as he starts talking again. Damn, I am now thinking I can try for the sound remote again for it's right at my foot, and I hear my self saying "Ok, so I show up at 9:20 AM at trailer 14 and uhm ..." Then silence. On the phone. Not in the room. The room is ablaze in sound. He finally tells me about the receptionist and how I am supposed to wait there for him and I finally hit the mute button on the sound remote.

Just in time for me to say "I can't think of anything else." and he says great and I hang up. I proceeed to write down the rest of the information that he has told me and thank God for my uncanny remote control control ability. I need more technology in my life.

5 comments:

Carol said...

What's a remote? Is it that thing with buttons that the kids aim at the box by the wall as it miraculously switches from image to image? I think we have one of those...or two. There might even be one or two upstairs in the gameroom, I'm not sure.

I do have a telephone, though. And I know how to use it, so watch out!

Beamer said...

Yes, I shall do that. You have an awesome day you.

Beamer

Mike Golch said...

my BH is still trying to figure out how all of my remotes work.

Kathy said...

Hilarious! That would so be me! I do not understand but one remote control, and I cannot figure out the one we have for audio. I only know where on/off is and up/down volume. There are 30 other buttons. WHY???

So how'd the interview go?

Beamer said...

Kathy, The interview was great. I'll let you know when I am going to post it.

Beamer