The Internet and change

Posted by Beamer at 8:30 PM

September 14th, 2008.

This seems to be a trend that I am seeing that I hope really comes to a screeching halt: Bullies on the Internet that force good people to change the way they do things on the Internet.

I have never understood bullies in real life. I certainly don't understand bullies on the Internet. I sort of understand crazy, although it is much easier to tell in person, than on the Internet. Crazy, some one being mental, some one with out both oars in the water, and making life difficult for those around them, I sort of understand. But just to find some one that is nice and force them to stop blogging or stop commenting the way they would like, is wrong. I don't care where you come from, it's wrong.

But part of the problem with the Internet is that whats wrong doesn't get stopped, unless it is wrong and illegal, then there is a chance it is stopped. Stuff that's wrong in a social way, usually forces good things to screech to a halt. It sucks.

The Internet will always be what it is, warts and all. Good people will sometimes just fade away, never to be seen again. The Internet isn't necessary for most people. And some one gets hurt bad enough, that just may be enough for them to drop out and never partake of the Internet again. I guess it makes some one feel real good to drive someone away from the Internet. Again, I don't understand.

Have you ever had to watch as some one get attacked on the Internet or have you been attacked yourself?

I certainly hope not.

6 comments:

Mike Golch said...

sorry for not visiting sooner, Ike took out the power here in Ohio for almost 2 million state wide. heree in Cleveland 300,thousand lost power, the electric company said it will be friday before the get the power restored to everyone.

Beamer said...

Yeah, I was glued to the TV over the weekend watching Ike take a huge chunk out of Texas. Glad your OK.

Beamer

Carol said...

I have this theory about bullies/flamers: They'll say/do things from behind the protection of their keyboards that they would never say or do face-to-face. It's like all their cowardice and inability to assert themselves offline morphs like some weird Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde thing when they know nobody can reach through the screen and bash their nose in for them.

Just a theory. Maybe they're buttholes in person, too.

Beamer said...

Damn, You is a rocker chick. I like your style of thinking.

Beamer

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this person would fall under the category of bully or stalker, but a few years ago I found out something about one of my customers and I "fired" her and told her I would not maintain her website any longer.

At first she just said okay and disappeared, but then she returned a few months later and began to post messages on my blog and other social networking pages that she had paid me and I'd never done the work, and a lot of other nasty things.

This was before the time you could moderate comments in a lot of places, so it got to the point where I almost had to shut them all down. It was very aggravating, to say the least.

It is amazing on the web how stirred up people can be and how brave they can get behind the keyboard, as Carol said. And with this woman, I don't know why she got so stirred up, because I'm not that great of an employee/contractor, haha!

Beamer said...

Thanks for the comment Tony. The internet can get very weird very fast at times. I guess it's part of the fun of allowing anyone to have Internet access.